Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ye KT kya hai bhai..(The power of Knowlwdge Transfer Session)



One of my best friends in Chennai was supposed to reach my residence this evening but unfortunately he will not come.

I got a call from him that he has to cancel his flight.

I asked “Why so?”

He told me that since some new bugs has come this morning so he has to stay in the office to keep track of bug fixing and of course to help his team members to engineer the same.

He was quite upset because of the cancellation of the flight.

I asked him the fundamental reasons why you need to stay there as there is lot of other team member are there who can happily handle these bugs.

He replied “I am the only people who have complete idea of functionality as well as technology”

I surprised and told him why didn’t you given any Knowledge Transfer Sessions to your team members, when ever you were having no any bugs.

He replied “I think you are quite correct, but I never got time to do that.”

Now a day we give more time to achieve the deadlines rather than creating better quality software, I mean healthier systems. People have less time to enhance quality than engineer the basic system, which is the reason I think support projects are more in number these days.

What happen to this project if he will leave the company after a period?

Now a day where attrition rate is so high, the concept of KT (Knowledge Transfer Sessions) is very much required. Even if no team member is supposed to leave the company or project, we should create a habit of knowledge sharing which enhance our product knowledge as well as our interest in the project. Working in project does mean that if you are working on module A then you must have some high-level view of the module B as well as high level functionality of the project (Low level functionality is better).
No one knows “kab kaun chala jaye..kab kaun bimar par jaye ( who will go out when from project. when some get ill)”









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is really good stuff to explore the KT importance in brief.
Rather to put lots of efforts for knowledge sharing, one can enhance his knowledge to others in a very effective way which is long lasting. Well Done Prajesh!
Keep it up!

HR Insight_Dharmendra said...

chiku said...
really superb IT article written by scholar one....which ignites ur mind to think about which application is better...no doubt .NET will overcome j2ee because of its specific and unique features....really mind blowing blogspot,i wish in future u will be getting these types of innovative and informative article by my dear scholar friend...GO AHEAD...WHERE TILLNOW NOONE HAS GONE....Wishing a bright future ahead....WELLDONE

param said...

Thanks Prajesh for sharing your idea with your friend's experience.
I realized that knowledge sharing is how important.I was surprized that while reading about your friend. i think he has dedicated his life to his company.